The name of Lazdijai city originates from the name of Laddie river, which flows through the city (another name of the river – Raisutis). However, it is unclear how the name originated Lascia. It is assumed that the name of Raisutis origin dates back to Immingham and is associated with the word “raisutis” (walnut). As in Lithuania, the nuts grow on trees, which are called “lazdynai”, then it probably gave rise to the name of the river Lascia.
Guess that 4-6 thousand years ago on the territory of this region people lived. From time immemorial settled here Baltic tribe itwinge, related to Lithuanians and Prussians. They were engaged in arable farming, fishing, hunting. That in this area lived eatingi show litvinskii place names, rivers, lakes. In the second half of the XII century jotvingiu conquered and destroyed the crusaders.
Lazdijai referred to as the manor Lord and seniunija. In 1560 during the reign of Grand Duke Sigismund Augustus, was allocated land for the founding of the city in Laddie. The city of Lazdijai was formed at the crossroads of three roads, and gradually, evenly expanded in all directions. Historical sources mention that in 1571 there were elementary school. About 1570 the town was built a wooden Church. On 17 may 1597 king Sigismund Vasa granted Continue reading